Thursday, April 8, 2010

Writer's Workshop



Lots of great prompts over at Mama Kat's Writers Workshop. I chose 2.) What book captured your heart? Write about why the first book you loved is the first book you loved.

I am a reader. Or I used to be......before career, marriage and motherhood. The full time career/commute has forced me into being a "listener" to audio books. I enjoy them but not as much as reading. A mean holding, smelling, dog earring, and hi lighting a book is one of my favorite parts of reading. Really digging into the content and journaling my thoughts and feelings brings me great joy. Remember the dreaded book reports? Well I love em.

Some of my first favorites were, To Kill A Mocking Bird, The Great Gatsby, Of Mice and Men, and The Grapes of Wrath. All required high school reading, but still enjoyed today. I think my joy also had to do with my teachers. They taught me "how" to read, I mean really read.

As I got older and was introduced to new writers and books, I came across many others that made me think, or allowed me to lose myself. I started looking for excitement in other families saga's. I adore Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre , Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights and The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorn

My all time favorite book that I have read at least 13 times is The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough. I am not all that sure why I am so drawn to this book. This book has it all, triumph, tragedy, forbidden love, dreams, hope and sacrifice. Every time I sit down to read it I find some new passage that gets hooked all over again. I think I may go and pick it up right now........it's been awhile :)

1 comment:

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

I loved "To Kill A Mocking Bird" and "Jane Eyre" too but didn't read them until I was in Jr. High or High School.

Visiting from Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. I chose the fear prompt.